Tuesday 21 January 2014

THE POWER OF CULTURE!

Hello, This post will be about my recent project at college. The theme of the project was Culture and We could choose something specific to look at within the culture so therefore, I chose 'texture'. After researching a lot, I decided to look into my own cultural clothing; Dhaka. I've always loved the patterns and the beautiful colours on Dhaka (some of which I own myself..well my mum to be precise lol). For some of you who don't know what Dhaka is, it is a traditional hand spun and handloom clothes mostly using weaving for all gender and age which expresses the uniqueness of Nepalese lifestyle.It can either be scarf, clothing or headwear which is worn as a symbol to show that you are from Nepal. The background of Dhaka originally was inspired by Geometric shapes.  

(This is an example of the textures used in Dhaka clothing..)

For my final piece, I wanted to create a high street wear using a modern version of Dhaka textures (although I love the real Dhaka patterns..) so I started researching some artists and I found this really amazing artist Vasare Nar who used Geometric shapes in her designs and the choice of colours used in her designs were gorgeous! She mostly did her designs by hand (WOW). I was immediately inspired by her designs which had that modern touch of Dhaka that I was looking for.

Because I can't do professional weaving I had to think of different method to create the texture so I started experimenting with fabrics using heat transfers dye, heat press and stencils. At first I tried simple designs but I love layering because it creates that busy, messy effect which I absolutely love! I've always been infatuated with colours (mostly bold colours..) whether it is designing or dressing up myself so as usual I ended up using really bright bold colours. 
(I have to be honest, I really loved the prints that I created using probably the easiest method ever..)
These are some of the pictures of my final piece..
(My 11 year old brother took this picture of me in our back garden, and of course had to brag him to take this picture with a video game.Cool.[not])

Special thanks to my beautiful model babs, follow her blog!
As for my result (drum roll please..), I got a high merit, was really close to getting a Distinction but overall I'm pleased with it. My next coming project has an architecture theme..Hope you are looking forward to it as much as I am..

StylewithLim x










No comments:

Post a Comment